Such a beautiful part of the country and we are proud to have 7 pubs across Yorkshire. Take the trail from York to Leeds or Leeds to York and visit an eclectic mix of historic pubs. All of the pubs within this trail are completely different, the people that have visited the pubs are different too...find out which pub in the 17th century used to exhibit the world's tallest man, at 8 FT tall! All you have to do is click start and head to the first of our traditional great British pubs to have a drink. Once inside, buy your drink, scan the app and then when you have finished, visit the next pub.
The Cross Keys takes its name from the symbol of St Peter, the dedication saint of York Minster. The original Cross Keys was demolished in 1904. This is its fine Victorian replacement, built for the local wine and spirits merchant, C J Melrose & Co.
Harkers stands on part of the site of the former Praetorian Gate, the Roman entrance to York. Remains of the original gate are still visible in our basement. This building dates from 1824. It housed the Yorkshire Insurance Company, whose first chairman was John Pemberton. His grand office with marbled fireplace and panelled walls remains intact on the first floor.
This pub is a collection of at least nine buildings that over the years have included a barber's shop, a coaching house, a poultry market, and a pig sty. The building itself dates from the 16th century. The four steps in the courtyard are known as mountings. Former guests used them to board their stagecoaches. In 1781 the pub exhibited an 8-foot giant, said to be the world's tallest man.
This building has been a pub for over 400 years. The punch-bowl sign shows allegiance to the Whig party; it guaranteed a warm welcome to supporters. The pub has two long-term residents: the spirit of a young girl and the ghost of a 19th-century landlord who died in one of the fires.
The Palace is in Leeds now, but in days gone by this plot of land was elsewhere. In medieval times, Leeds ended at the nearby East Bar Stone. People who lived on this side of the marker went to York to attend jury service. The actual building dates from 1741. It used to be the home of Edmund Maude, a local timber merchant.
In 1765 they built a fine gentlemen's residence on this site, but by 1789 the encroaching smoke and soot of the industrial revolution had blighted the spot. Things got worse. In 1816 they subdivided the estate and sold it off. By the 1890s, there was a pub and concert hall here owned by a theatrical impresario called Fred Wood. The Scarbrough was a venue for talent nights.
The 'Vic' as we're affectionately known, was built in 1865 by the Victoria Hotel Company. It was accommodation for people attending the newly opened assize courts in Leeds Town Hall. In 1973, a 1,000-signature petition stopped the pub from being destroyed by developers. In 1989, the Leeds Civic Trust praised our 'splendid Victorian features and contribution to city life.'