Our pub’s history... where do we start?
Long before we opened our doors, the ground on which the Old Thameside stands housed an old spice warehouse on the bustling Pickford’s Wharf docks, which date back to the 16th century.
Back in the day, the original Clink Prison sat on the cobbled street just behind the pub. The private prison of the Bishop of Winchester housed prisoners since the year 860.
Southwark Central, London’s oldest Gothic building, also stands behind our magnificent pub. Originally built in 1106 as a Saxon Nunnery, it was rebuilt between 1890 and 1896, and eventually became a Cathedral in 1905.
And the history doesn’t stop there. Outside the pub, there’s a full-size replica of The Golden Hind, the ship that took Sir Francis Drake on his round-the-world trip between 1577 and 1580.